Antoanella Calame, MD
r. Antoanella Calame is a fellowship-trained dermatopathologist who combines the latest scientific advances with the clinical art of medicine. She has expertise in Mohs surgery and is board certified in dermatology. Dr. Calame welcomes new patients.
Dr. Antoanella Calame received her MD degree from University of California, San Diego (UCSD) after graduating Summa Cum Laude from California Lutheran University. She completed her residency in dermatology at UCSD, followed by a dermatopathology fellowship at University of Texas, Southwestern (UTSW) in Dallas, Texas, where she trained with Dr. Clay Cockerell, one of the world leaders in the field of dermatopathology. Dr. Calame is board certified in dermatology and dermatopathology and holds over thirty active state medical licenses. She is the author of a book on cutaneous manifestations of HIV disease and has published numerous peer reviewed scientific papers. Dr. Calame is an invited speaker at local and national conferences every year. She has a special interest in melanoma and melanocytic lesions and is actively involved with the newest clinical and molecular techniques used in the diagnosis and prognosis of cutaneous melanoma. Dr. Calame is the founder and director of Compass Dermatopathology, Poway Dermatology and SkyMD. She practices dermatopathology full time and spends a limited time seeing dermatology patients. Dr. Calame teaches dermatology and dermatopathology to the UCSD and Navy dermatology residents, as well as dermatology and pathology residents who come to rotate with her from all over the United States and the world. She has received the annual Excellence in Teaching Award from UTSW and UCSD four times. Dr. Calame’s interests outside of work include tennis, yoga, camping, and spending time with her family.
Antoanella Calame, MD
Board Certified in Dermatology and Dermatopathology
- Director, Owner, and Chief Dermatopathologist, Compass Dermatopathology, Inc., July 2010 – Present
- Dermatologist, Owner, Dermatology Center of La Jolla and Poway Dermatology, January 2011 – Present
- Dermatology Section Chief, Scripps Memorial Hospital, La Jolla, CA, July 2013 – Present
- Volunteer Clinical Professor, UC San Diego, Department of Dermatology, June 2014 – Present
- Assistant Clinical Professor, UC San Diego, Division of Dermatology, October 2012 – June 2014
- Staff Dermatologist, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, La Jolla, CA, November 2011 – June 2014
- Assistant Clinical Professor, University of Texas, Southwestern, Dept. of Dermatology, 2008 – 2010
- Associate Dermatopathologist and Assistant Dermatopathology Fellowship Program Director, Cockerell and Associates, Dallas, Texas, 2008 – 2010
- Dermatopathology Fellowship, University of Texas, Southwestern, 2007-2008
- Dermatology Residency, Univ. of California, San Diego, Division of Dermatology, 2004-2007
- Mohs/Research Fellowship, Univ. of California, San Diego, Division of Dermatology, 2003-2004
- Internal Medicine Internship, Univ. of California, San Diego, Department of Medicine, 2002-2003
- M.D. degree, Univ. of California, San Diego, School of Medicine, Class Rank Highest Percentile June 2002
- Bachelor of Science, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, California Lutheran University, Summa Cum Laude, June 1996
Board Certification and Licensure:
- Board Certified by the American Board of Dermatology in Dermatology and Dermatopathology
- Medical Licenses: CA, AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, LA, MD, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NE, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WY
Honors and Selected Awards:
- Robert W. Goltz Excellence in Teaching Award – 2016, 2014, and 2012, UCSD Division of Dermatology
- Outstanding Teaching Awards – June 2010 (Faculty of the Year) and June 2008 (Fellow of the Year), Department of Dermatology, University of Texas, Southwestern, Dallas, Texas
- Merck Award for Best Medical Students – June 2002, UCSD School of Medicine
- Dean of Students Award For Contributions to the Medical School Community, UCSD School of Medicine
- NIH Grant Recipient – For Studying the Propagation of a Chromosome Break in Human Cytomegalovirus Infected Fibroblasts, June 1999, UCSD SOM
- Dean’s Award (Valedictorian), June 1996, California Lutheran University
- American Academy of Dermatology (Leadership Forum and Advanced Leadership Forum graduate; former member of the Residents and Fellows Committee and Healthcare Finance Committee)
- San Diego Dermatologic Society – President (2011-2013), Member (2010-present)
- American Medical Association, California Dermatologic Association, Pacific Dermatologic Association, Noah Worcester Dermatologic Association (Board of Directors)
Books: Cutaneous Manifestations of HIV Disease – Clay Cockerell and Antoanella Calame, Manson Publishing Ltd, 1st edition, 2012
- Painful tumors of the skin. Cohen PR, Erickson CP, Calame A. Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational
Dermatology, Vol 2019:12 Pages 123-132.
- Keratoacanthomatous Changes: Unifying the Histologic Spectrum of Actinic Granuloma. Harb JN, Kalen JE,
Hsu S, Diwan AH, Calame A, Motaparthi K. Am J Dermatopathol. 2018 Oct; 40(10):762-766.
- Histologic and Clinical Changes in Vulvovaginal Tissue After Treatment With a Transcutaneous
Temperature-Controlled Radiofrequency Device. Vanaman Wilson MJ, Bolton J, Jones IT, Wu DC, Calame
A, Goldman MP. Dermatol Surg. 2018 May; 44(5):705-713.
- A single-center clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy of a tripeptide/hexapeptide antiaging regimen. Widgerow
AD, Jiang LI, Calame A. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2018 Mar 4.
- Pediatric penile porokeratosis: A case report. Bari O, Calame A, Marietti-Shepherd S, Barrio VR. Pediatr
Dermatol. 2018 Mar;35(2):e103-e104 Epub 2018 Jan 16.
- Atypical Fibroxanthoma in a 13-Year-Old Guatemalan Girl with Xeroderma Pigmentosum. Chappell, A. G.,
Chase, E. P., Chang, B., Cunningham, E., Mihm, F., Calame, A., Fudem, G. and Cunningham, B. (2016),
Pediatr Dermatol, 33: e228–e229.
- Evaluation of the in vivo effects of various laser, light, or ultrasound modalities on human skin treated with a
collagen and polymethylmethacrylate microsphere dermal filler product. Wu DC, Karnik J, Margarella T,
Nguyen VL, Calame A, Goldman MP. Lasers Surg Med. 2016 Nov; 48(9):811-819
- Use of Oral Plypodium Leucotomos Extract in Chronic Photoinduced Hypersensitivity Dermatitis. Luber AJ,
Calame A, Jacob SE. Skinmed. 2016 Feb 1;14(1)62-3.
- Late-onset granuloma formation after poly-l-lactic acid injection. Storer M, Euwer R, Calame A, Kourosh
AS. JAAD Case Rep. 2016 Feb 1;2(1):54-6.
- Atypical Fibroxanthoma in a 13-Year-Old Guatemalan Girl with Xeroderma Pigmentosum. Chappell AG,
Chase EP, Chang B, Cunningham E, Mihm F, Calame A, Fudem G, Cunningham B. Pediatr Dermatol. 2016
May:33(3):e228-9. Epub 2016 Apr 4.
- Psoriasiform eruptions during Kawasaki disease (KD): A distinct phenotype. Haddock ES, Calame A,
Shimizu C, Tremoulet AH, Burns JC, Tom WL. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2016 Jul;75(1):69-76.
- Ecthyma Gangrenosum- Like Lesions Secondary to Methicillin-Sensitive Staphylococcus Aureus in an
Immunocompetent Pediatric Patient. Song S, Matiz C, Calame A, Krakowski A, Tom W, Friedlander S,
Pediatric Dermatology. 2015 Nov;32(6)
- Diffuse erythema and dry scales in a female infant. X-linked dominant Conradi-Hunermann-Happle (CHH)
syndrome. Ali L, Ricotti C, Li L, Calame A, Brouha B, Helm T, Cockerell C. Am J Dermatopathol. 2011
- Sweet’s syndrome and subacute thyroiditis: an unrecognized association? Richard J, Lazarte S, Calame A,
Lingvay I. Thyroid. 2010 Dec;20(12):1425-6.
- Acquired dermal melanocytosis of the hand at the site of treated psoriasis. KelleyBP, DohertySD, Calame A,
Hsu S. Dermatol Online J. 2009 Dec 15;15(12):2.
- Granular cell atypical fibroxanthoma: case report and review of the literature. Wright NA, Thomas CG,
Calame A, Cockerell CJ. J Cutan Pathol. 2009 Mar 31.
- Edematous nodules on the extremities of a febrile patient: cutaneous cryptococcosis. Boswell JS, Bardan A,
McDonald H, Pandya AG. Arch Dermatol. 2008 Dec;144(12):1651.
- Increased serine protease activity and cathelicidin promotes skin inflammation in rosacea. Yamasaki K, Di
Nardo A, Bardan A, Murakami M, Ohtake T, Coda A, Dorschner RA, Bonnart C, Descargues P, Hovnanian
A, Morhenn VB, Gallo RL. Nature Medicine 2007 Aug;13(8):975-80.
- Cutaneous defense mechanisms by antimicrobial peptides. Braff MH, Bardan A, Nizet V, Gallo RL. Journal
of Investigative Dermatology. 2005 Jul;125(1):9-13. Review.
- Antimicrobial Peptides and the Skin, Antoanella Bardan, MD, Victor Nizet, MD, Richard Gallo, MD, PhD,
Expert Opinions in Biological Therapy. 2004 Apr;4(4):543-9